Top 10 reasons to buy a motorhome
blog / advice / motorhomes / holiday
Motorhoming is becoming more and more popular, especially in these strange times when we are unable to venture to foreign lands. That reason aside, motorhoming is fun! It allows you to pick a place, pack a bag and off you go!
A motorhome will allow the whole family to pile in and enjoy some quality time together away from the pressures of everyday life. Plus being in your own home on wheels makes it all the more exciting! Buying a motorhome is a big decision, but we want to make it a little easier for you - read our top 10 reasons to buy a motorhome and decide for yourselves! We’ve also listed a few practical tips at the bottom to ensure your final decision is a well-rounded one…
1. Anytime, anywhere
If you opt for a motorhome, you’ll have a readymade holiday home to use whenever the fancy takes you! And the beauty is, it’s not restricted to one location. Your motorhome will take you anywhere you want to go at any time, providing a comfy place to relax and rest your head at the end of each day, surrounded by your home comforts. It’s win-win!
2. Hassle-free holidays!
A motorhome will take the hassle out of your holiday planning. The need to research accommodation and places to stay will be gone; you won’t have to do price comparisons of different hotels or chalets, it’s all ready and waiting on your driveway! All you need to decide is where you fancy going and book a site. If you want to move on after a few days, off you go. You’re not tied down and you’ll have the freedom to explore and enjoy your trips time after time. Chill in an idyllic spot for a week or two, or location hop to your heart’s content!
A motorhome gives you fully equipped kitchen and washroom facilities meaning that you are completely self-contained. This is great for use during a worldwide pandemic, but also at every other time as well. You get all the fun of camping without the queue to wash up, shared showers and portaloos!
Motorhomes are spacious - they offer lots of living and sleeping space so you won’t experience that ‘cramped’ feeling. They’re great for families who will have a more pleasant holiday with the extra space to spread out a little!
Motorhomes offer lots of storage space, especially if you choose one that has a ‘garage’ section. This is ideal for those who enjoy outdoor pursuits that may involve lots of large equipment such as paddleboards, bicycles and scooters. The storage space will also be appreciated by families - the list of things babies and children can’t holiday without is endless!
6. On the move
Motorhomes are great when it comes to moving around as there’s no pitching and levelling to do as there is in a caravan. You’re less likely to erect an awning on a motorhome so when you decide to go, you can do so at the drop of a hat! This makes motorhoming the laid-back touring holiday option and it’s also ideal for pitstop trips.
7. No towing
With a motorhome, you’re literally in the driving seat! The motor vehicle is part of the leisure vehicle so there is no towing to worry about, which can make the driving experience more relaxed and pleasurable.
8. Off grid camping
Motorhomes are suitable for ‘off-grid’ camping as they are self-contained and can be powered with a leisure battery. If travelling to Europe, motorhomes are allowed at many more sites than caravans are because of their versatility.
9. Good investment
Pre-owned motorhomes hold their value really well. So if you’re worried about the amount of money you’ll be spending on a motorhome, rest assured tha if you buy a pre-owned model, you’d get a good amount back if you decided to sell in a year or two. If buying new it’s a good idea to keep hold of it for at least a few years to get the best value for money.
10. Spoilt for choice
When it comes to motorhomes, there is so much to choose from! There are different manufacturers, models, specs, berth sizes, layouts, the list goes on! The important thing to note in order to navigate your way through the choices successfully, is what your requirements are. How big is your party? How do you plan to use the motorhome? What are your must-have facilities and features? What’s your budget? Read reviews and ask others for advice and then investigate some more closely. Hopefully it’ll soon become clear what you don’t want which will lead you to what you do!
Things to consider when buying a motorhome:
- It is a motor vehicle in its own right, so it will need to be MOT’d and looked after in all the same ways that you do your car. Our workshop offers exceptional servicing, repairs and warranty work so get in touch if there's anything you need.
- Before you buy, make sure you’re happy and comfortable driving a motorhome! They’re large and can take some getting used to! Consider renting a motorhome for a week first to give it a try. Remember that if the only thing putting you off is using it as your vehicle for the whole trip, you could get a trailer and tow a small car along behind you…
- Plan where you will store your motorhome when not in use. Measure up before you buy to ensure you don’t get a nasty surprise when you get it home!
- Do your research; check out the different manufacturers to see which ones suit your needs best. They can differ quite a bit from facilities to pricing so make sure you get the one that’s right for you!
- Make a list of your top 5 must-haves and don’t compromise - you may have to bend on some things to stay within your budget, but stick to your guns on the most important things to ensure you’re happy post-purchase.
- Set a budget and plan how you’re going to finance your motorhome - there are lots of options out there.
- Take some time to research and consider security features and insurance - boring, but important - you’ll be glad you did!
We’re an official dealer of new Bailey motorhomes! Discover the 2021 models and get in touch to find out more. We also stock a range of high quality, low mileage, pre-owned motorhomes - take a look online or pop in and see us when we reopen on 2 December! We look forward to welcoming you!
‹ All press releases
Keep in touch
Book your service
We will look after your caravan or motorhome just as much as you do. Protect your investment today by booking a service with our workshop staff.Book for a service ›
Get a free caravan valuation
Looking to sell? Need a quote for insurance purposes? Interested in a part-exchange? We can help, so contact us today.Book a valuation ›
Sign up to our newsletter
Do you have any questions?
Get in touch with Winchester Caravans & Motorhomes today.Ask a question ›