Motorhoming made easy!
blog / advice / motorhomes / holiday
If you’ve been toying with the idea of buying a motorhome for some time, we’re here to tell you to go for it! Read on to discover some top tips to buying the motorhome of your dreams as well as our guidance on the best ways to motorhome with ease once you have your vehicle.
It’s true, buying your motorhome is just the first step on your motorhoming journey! It’s a very important step as it involves many decisions along the way. You’ll need to decide exactly what you want, what you can afford to spend and how you see yourself using your motorhome as this may help inform your decisions.
Whether you want a compact motorhome for yourself and your partner to zip off at the weekends, or a larger vehicle to take the kids or grandchildren away in the school holidays, we can guide you on your journey to finding your ideal motorhome.
But more than that, we want to make sure that after your purchase, you know what to expect when it comes to motorhoming so that you can plan ahead without any unexpected surprises!
Set a budget
One of the first things to do is work out how much you want to spend / can afford and try to stick to it! Try not to look at motorhomes that are way above your budget or you may feel disheartened that they are out of your reach or you could end up stretching yourself and regretting the purchase later.
Your budget may help you make a decision about whether to buy new or pre-owned - if your budget is higher, you can go for your preferred option, but if your budget is a little lower, buying pre-owned could be the answer as you may be able to get a higher-spec or larger motorhome if it’s a couple of years old.
Do your research
Spend plenty of time researching all the different motorhomes on the market. Every single motorhome will offer something different so it’s worth being well informed when it comes to what’s on offer. Look into all the different manufacturers and read reviews to see what experts and existing caravan owners think of them. Which ones have good reputations for quality?
You will need to decide on the manufacturer as well as the range and model so there will be a lot to think about! Try making a list of all the things that are absolutely essential to you, such as number of berths, number of seatbelts, specific layout and specific features as this will whittle down the number of options greatly. For example if you want a 4-berth with 4 seat belts and a rear washroom, that’s a great starting point.
We’re motorhome experts so if you’re finding the searching process a little overwhelming, why not give us a call on 01962 714 844 or pop into the showroom for a chat? We’re very knowledgeable and will be able to help you make a shortlist of possible models.
Buy from a reputable dealer
- Opt for a reputable, quality dealer - Winchester Caravans and Motorhomes has 4.5/5 on Google reviews.
- Choose a dealer based on recommendation - it will put you at ease about purchasing from them if someone else has had a positive experience with them.
- You should receive excellent customer care and professional service. Everything will be taken care of for you.
- You will receive a warranty with your motorhome purchase that will give you peace of mind.
- Good dealerships will offer a range of services in addition to sales such as a first-class workshop to take care of all your future servicing, repair and warranty needs.
If storing your motorhome on your driveway is essential for you, make sure you know the measurements of your driveway so that you can check that the motorhomes you’re looking at will fit onto it. You should also consider whether you will be able to fit your car(s) onto your driveway as well and if not, be sure to assess whether this is the ideal solution as it will be a long-term consequence of buying your motorhome.
If you are unable to, or you do not wish to store your motorhome on your property, there are many other options available. Caravan and motorhome storage is plentiful and you can choose from indoor or outdoor sites. Check out our blog on leisure vehicle storage to find out more.
Post purchase tips
Once you’ve bought your new motorhome, you’ll have the exciting task of kitting it out! Get started on equipping your motorhome kitchen with all you need to make mealtimes a breeze! Source all the essentials including cutlery, utensils, crockery, pans, ovenware, tupperware and small appliances such as a kettle. Our on-site accessory shop stocks over 5,000 products so you can rest assured that you’ll be able to get all you need in one place! What’s more, we have many clever, motorhome-friendly items that are great space savers such as many compact and collapsible items.
Top 10 accessories:
Homeware - from kettles to cutlery, cookware to collapsibles!
Power cable - enabling you to hook up to the electrical supply and make use of all your creature comforts.
Leisure battery - get power when electrical hook up is not an option.
BBQ - great for cooking a range of tasty alfresco meals.
Camping furniture - so you can make the most of the great outdoors.
Awning - get some valuable extra living space and maybe even double your footprint!
Water carriers - an absolute must-have for motorhome life.
Fire extinguisher - better safe than sorry, these are handy at tackling small flames.
Bedding - a good night’s sleep is essential; choose between duvets and sleeping bags and don’t forget your pillows!
Cleaning kit - keep your motorhome looking spic and span with our range of cleaning products.
If you’re finding the thought of planning your first trip away a little daunting, simply follow our simple 5-step guide to a stress-free motorhome break:
1. Decide on destination: Choose where you’d like to visit; it could be somewhere you’ve always fancied or an old favourite, but for your first trip, perhaps consider staying relatively close to home so that your journey isn’t too long. Once you’re used to driving the motorhome you’ll feel more confident venturing further afield.
2. Research available sites: Check out what sites are available in your chosen area. You can do this by searching on Google or on websites such as Campsites.co.uk or Pitchup.com. These are great as you can immediately select the dates you want and see what’s available, as well as add filters to include must-have features and discount things you don’t wish to encounter. You can then choose to book ahead or at least scope out the availability beforehand.
3. Activity ideas: What is there to do in the area you’re planning to visit? Have a think about what you fancy doing and check that those places are open at the time of year you’re going and whether you have to book in advance. Outdoor activities are always available - weather permitting - and exploring local towns and countryside is a good shout too.
4. Catering: Have a little think about what you’ll do at mealtimes while you’re away. As it’s your first time motorhoming you may not want to cook indoors every night so consider a combination of meals in, BBQs, meals out and the odd takeaway to mix it up! Check out our Caravan cooking made easy blog for some great tips and meal ideas!
5. Pack the essentials: Although your motorhome will be fully equipped and ready to go, plan carefully what personal belongings to take with you. Pack your clothes according to the time of year and layers are always a good idea! Remember things such as sun hats, suncream, swimmers and picnic blankets in the summer months, and raincoats, wellies and woolly hats in the colder months!
We’re ready and waiting to assist you
The best way to make a decision is to have a look for yourself! Pop into the showroom and let our friendly and experienced team advise you on all aspects of buying a motorhome! Browse our new and pre-owned ranges online before you pop in and get in touch if you need any more info.
‹ All press releases
Keep in touch
Book your service
We will look after your caravan or motorhome just as much as you do. Protect your investment today by booking a service with our workshop staff.Book for a service ›
Get a free caravan valuation
Looking to sell? Need a quote for insurance purposes? Interested in a part-exchange? We can help, so contact us today.Book a valuation ›
Sign up to our newsletter
Do you have any questions?
Get in touch with Winchester Caravans & Motorhomes today.Ask a question ›